Hello – We succeed as a team – As an essential element of our inclusive, innovative workplace, we continually seek to hire and develop the best employees with a variety of skills and experiences.
Our Health Canada licensed Cannabis analytical laboratory is looking for a new team member that is highly passionate, experienced and excited about all things Microbiology. While Cannabis analytics is our primary focus we are also branching into analytical services for other industries such as Pharma and Food ;
JOB SUMMARY: Our Microbiologist lead is a key collaborative member that supports our Lab. This position will be responsible for running, troubleshooting, and analyzing cannabis and hemp samples for microbiological pathogens utilizing qPCR. Writing and reviewing standard operating procedures (SOP’s); and performing basic and complex laboratory operations. This position will also assist with method development as required. This position will also assist Head of Lab with any other lab related duties and functions including customer interaction;
Reporting to our Head of Lab you will be responsible for and involved with all aspects of microbiological testing with a focus on but not limited to –
Total Aerobic Microbial Counts
Total Yeast and Mould Counts
Bile-Tolerant Gram-Negative Bacteria
2 to 5 years’ Experience in PCR Works & Method Development (QPCR/ddPCR, preferably in Viral RNA/DNA)
Educational Background or Experience in Microbiology will be beneficial. (E.g. Degree in Microbiology/ Biomedical Science/ Life Science/ Biochemistry etc.)
Educational Background can be substitute with experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Responsible for the analysis of cannabis and hemp samples utilizing qPCR.
· Responsible for media preparation, data entry, reporting for microbiological samples.
· Responsible for maintaining standards of performance for microbiological testing.
· Responsible for maintaining aseptic techniques in the laboratory.
· Responsible for daily sample preparation and data analysis to ensure laboratory runs smoothly and meets required turnaround times.
· Responsible for ensuring compliance with internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and quality systems.
· Responsible for developing procedures for documenting results from data collected.
· Responsible for ensuring test equipment is clean, maintained and in good working order.
· Responsible for maintaining a safe, clean, and sanitary work area.
· Responsible for maintaining an accurate notebook, logbook, and other required documentation protocols.
· Responsible for following all safety procedures and documents.
· Responsible for ensuring high quality standards are met through performing calibrations, quality checks and proficiency programs.
· Responsible for maintaining inventory tracking as required.
– Conducts trainings for other employees as requested
-Performs daily and weekly cleaning procedures of the laboratory
-Administrative duties (inventory tracking, paperwork/data management, etc.)
– Sample inspection and handling to intake
-Using an online laboratory information management system software
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent interpersonal skills.
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Strong knowledge of testing processes and procedures.
Ability to function well in a high-paced environment.
Knowledge and application of good aseptic technique.
Knowledge of GMP practices
Please send a resume with a cover letter, and we will get back to you soon. Thank you
compensation: from $20 an hour
employment type: contract
job title: Microbiology Lead