TEAM LEADER, MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada’s shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we’re just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We’re growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada’s shipbuilding industry and provide Canada’s sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada’s interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada’s current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Team Leader, Mechanical Engineering.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Naval Architecture, Mechanical or Marine Engineering
- Years of Experience Required:
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the mechanical engineering field
- 3+ years of experience in a Design/Engineering Lead role
- Supervisory experience in previous role(s) required
- Experience working on naval new building, and/or major naval refit projects
- Experience working with classification society rules
- Experience working with Design Agent team for developing Technical Specifications, P&ID’s, 3D models, etc.
- Experience working with Navel Equipment Fabricators for defining Vendor Furnished info and delivery packages
- Previous experience with HVAC, fuel, oil, water, cooling, heating, ballast, bilge, slug systems is an asset
- Ability to work in collaboration with operations management, planning and production teams
- Previous position within the AOPS Project an asset
- Registered P.Eng. or P.Eng. Candidate an asset
- Problem solving skills and ability to lead and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and personal time management skills
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Lead mechanical functional engineering efforts from design and specification review through system fabrication and concluding with commissioning and trials. The Mechanical Lead wll also be responsible for task distribution, setting and monitoring department schedule and managing performance of the team members
- Validation that technical productis developed (by ISI or Design Agent, etc.) meet the requirements of the customer, associated references, ISI quality standards, and class requirements
- Ensure that 3D model changes meet functional requirements
- System engineer for multiple systems
- Ensure that all VFI and material specifications are checked, configured, and prepared for ILS and Turnover
- Makr esure that all TIR/TCR/NCR’s emerged from the Operational area are properly addressed and solved according to their priorities; actively supporting Sr. Manager Engineering in prioritization of these issues
- Manage coordination of subcontractors’ activities related to mechanical engineering
- Act as first point of contact with the design agent and ISI Sr. Manager, Engineering for activities/issues within the coverage area and support progress and performance reporting requirements
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
- Relocation costs (if applicable).
compensation: To be discussed.
employment type: full-time
job title: Mechanical Team Lead